Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Week 12: Learning Leadership

"Some leaders learn to lead by making mistakes and then reflecting enough on those mistakes to develop principles for the future...another way is to learn the principles based on the mistakes of others." 

My initial reaction to this statement is to believe that the person who would rather learn from personal mistakes rather than the mistakes of others does not care about the damage that can happen when mistakes occur.  Yes mistakes in ministry will occur regardless of how much we research and prepare for a service or event, but that does not mean that we can lessen the effects of those mistakes by doing some research.  I tend to think that leadership is something that can be learned and not something that is simply inherent.  In my opinion there are leadership qualities that can be developed by looking at the leadership of others and then putting certain traits and characteristics in play.  In my life and ministry, it is my hope that I can put the lessons that others have learned into practice and in some way lessen the effects that mistakes may have on my life, my ministry, or those I am ministering to.  I have to do my best to learn how to be the best leader because my leadership ultimately affects the Kingdom of God and his beloved.  If I'm not trying to learn then, in my opinion, I'm not showing God or those around me that I care about their spiritual formation.  So, I'm going to do anything I can to learn from the mistakes of others and not "learn on the job" without doing any research.  

No comments:

Post a Comment