Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ministerial Ethics Review

While I was reading the article I started to get a little upset at the idea of playing with numbers or doing shady business in the church.  I know that some of the options presented by Coach that I really would take offense to, are decisions made by pastors in the local church all the time without a hint of hesitation.  Maybe I'm wrong, but as a leader in the church I want to keep myself above reproach.  I want to set the standard.  

In those situations it is so easy to toy with the idea of taking the easy route or gaining personally from our dealings.  Its funny, but even though these are just possible scenarios I had a hard time choosing answers.  I got a little upset with myself about that because I know how I want my ministry to look, but I also know how hard it might be to do everything by the books.  Thankfully I have mentors and accountability partners in my life who can assist me in saving my integrity.  Former Pastors and church treasurers are some very close family members and so I will have people around me who know the ins and outs of church finances and who can ask the tough questions.  

I guess the sooner I begin to recognize the challenges that I will face concerning my integrity in ministry, the more I can prepare myself to make the decisions that may have been able to sneak away with.  Strength grows over time too.  I believe that as I continue to face these situations and have victory over them, the easier it will become to say no to temptation concerning finances.  I want to be an example of integrity and set the standard for the members of my congregation.  I don't want to benefit from the church but I want the church to benefit from my actions.  

1 comment:

  1. I just read through all your work below... you guys are on track--keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete