Thursday, February 19, 2009

Week 6: Office Work

I'm a really relational person and the way that ministry was done in the 1970's seems highly appealing to me.  I would be able to spend a majority of my work week meeting with people and building connections with other people for the church.  In my case however, I would need time for myself.  I'm an introvert and this type of ministry, while rewarding, would at the same time be very taxing.  

On the other hand, I am all about sermon preparation as well as taking care of administrative tasks because I think it is critical that the church runs like a well oiled machine.  And it doesn't really matter how close you are with everyone, but if the sermons and services of the church aren't good, people won't stick around for long.  

So here is the shift that I would like to see.  I think there can be an equal balance of these two ideas.  Half of the week can be spent working on the relational aspect of the ministry, while the other can be spent in sermon preparation and administrative tasks.  Personally, in a 60 hour work week, I would spend 30 hours in visits with members, visitors, hospitals and the like.  The other 30 hours of the week I would spend in sermon preparation and office work.  I know this seems like a cheap answer but I really think it would provide a healthy balance for a pastor.  The hours he works would be defined and would allow for some "breathing room" when it comes to accomplishing the goals for personal ministry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment