Thursday, February 26, 2009

Week 7: People - Campus vs. Church

1.  More choices for friendships: One thing that I have discovered at my time here at IWU is that if I want to I can surround myself with people that I have "hand picked" to be my friends.  There is a larger number of people and personalities to choose from here at school than there are in most churches.  The church I attend while I'm here at school has about 150 people in it and I see most of them every week while I am at church.  

2. Theological Issues: I think it's easier to get along with people at school because the issues that people have to face in church are sometime much deeper than issues faced a school.  Theology is one of those things.  People can form opinions about the university and what it stands for but when people begin to form opinions about a church it hurts more.  This is what they believe with all their heart and soul.  What they believe, in some circumstances, should not and can not be changed.  

3.  More Involved in Decisions:  At church, the congregation is a lot more involved in the big decisions that are made, whereas in a university there are a smaller number of people involved in making big decisions.  Churches seem to have a greater number of people who get involved in the deepest of levels and when something goes wrong or someone doesn't agree it can cause great division.  In a university setting, people are not as involved in the decision making process and that takes responsibility out of there hands and therefore when decisions are made, usually the community is not as greatly offended or affected.  

No comments:

Post a Comment